San Candido and the surrounding area invite you to unforgettable holidays in the UNESCO World Heritage of the Dolomites. The town of San Candido delights with city flair, a pedestrian zone with attractive shops and numerous sights and special experiences. Active holiday makers find all year round sports opportunities and connoisseurs will love everything on offer in the beautiful landscape of the Dolomites.
Our tips for excursions and adventures:
- The collegiate church in San Candido is the most beautiful sacred building in the Eastern alpine region. Particularly worth seeing are the majestic Romanesque dome fresco, the special crucifixion group and the deeply symbolic crypt. Don’t forget to visit the abbey museum!
- The Cappella di Altötting e del Santo Sepolcro built by Georg Paprion of San Candido, are two joined sacred buildings and monuments of popular piety dating back to the time of the Counter-Reformation (17 century). Inspired by the Grace Chapel in Altötting in Bavaria and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem he built these churches in 1632 and 1563.
- Dolomythos brings the world of the Dolomites closer to you! The museum is highly suitable for families.
- Music lovers should not miss the Gustav Mahler music weeks and also pay a visit to the Alto Adige Festival. It is also interesting to follow in the footsteps of Gustav Mahler and to visit the composing house in which he composed his music during his stays in Alta Pusteria.
- The theatres of war in the Sesto Dolomites are of historic importance: On Monte Piano and Croda Rossa soldiers fought a bitter war. Visit the impressive open air museums Monte Piano and Bellum Aquilarum and the war cemetery Burg.
- Reinhold Messner, one of the most famous South Tyroleans, fulfilled his dreams and set up a chain of museums on the mountains. Visit the MMM – Messner Mountain Museums in Brunico, on Plan de Corones and on Monte Rite.
- The former mine Predoi in Valle Aurina is an experience for young and old. Asthma sufferers and people generally interested should not miss the climate tunnel.
- Brunico tempts visitors with its bustling city centre, Brunico Castle with its MMM-Messner Mountain Museum Ripa, and one of the most beautiful open air museums in the region: the ethnological museum Teodone. Original farms from past centuries and many other facilities showcase our ancestors’ life on the farm.
- Enjoy the idyllic locations of the lakes of Dobbiaco, Braies, Anterselva and Misurina.
- Don’t forget an excursion across to border to Lienz in East Tyrol on a bicycle or by train or car. The town excites with numerous sights and an appealing town centre.